So, you want a Christmas Tree that is cheap, recyclable and repurposed from items you already own. The beauty of this project is that the whole family can get involved.
I have been reading online recently that a lot of people save [ or is that ‘ hoard ’? ] their toilet roll cores ready to repurpose
Regular readers will remember How to Save Money by making your own Gift Boxes using toilet roll cores.
So, whilst I have been resting my ankle after twisting it badly two weeks ago, I have had the opportunity to use up quite a few cores to create a cost-effective Christmas Tree for the dining table.
- Toilet roll cores
- Paint and Paintbrush
- Empty Wine Bottle with a stopper [ screw cap or cork ] weighed down with something like water, sand or rice grains
- Long cardboard core from plastic wrap or aluminium foil
- Terracotta pot or empty can which you can weigh down
- Measure your toilet roll core and visually estimate the ½ length mark
- Cut your first core once to approximately the half way mark
- Offset second core slightly into this slit so you can mark the rim of the first core ready to make a second slit. You can make this mark with either with an indent, a pencil or marker pen
- When you’ve made the second slit, insert second core as shown [ below Step 2b ]
- Place third core into the second slit cut and mark as previously
- Repeat this step again as you should be able to fit four cores around the first core
- The fourth core should slide into the first and third slits
- Repeat Step 3 adding an extra two cores around the circumference
- I also added cores in the centre to firm up the structure but I don’t think it is really necessary unless you have plenty of cores like I did [ and still do ]
- Decorate your Christmas Tree according to your dining table colour theme
Step 6: (optional)
If you want to reduce the size of the footprint of your Christmas Tree, especially if you are using this as a centrepiece for your Christmas table, insert either the weighted down wine bottle or long cardboard core. I will post some photos next week to show you – so ensure you have signed up my weekly post !
Next week I will also show you how to make the Tree Decorations from items from around the house. So gather up the following material ready:
Ring pull tabs
Roll-on Deodorant ball
Until next week – Thank you for dropping by